Hydro power is clean and renewable energy. Eco-efficient hydro power is produced in the Kouvola region in KSS Energia’s five hydroelectric power plants. In these power plants, flowing water was harnessed for utilisation already some decades ago. Later, their efficiency has been improved taking environmental aspects into account.
Some of KSS Energia’s hydro power is produced in Norway in the Rana hydro power plant and in Sweden in the Kraftgården hydro power plant: KSS Energia has a stake in these plants with its production shares.
KSS ENERGIA’S HYDROELECTRIC POWER PLANTS
A water mill was built in the rapids of Siikakoski on the border of Valkeala and the municipality of Jaala as early as in 1826. Later, two mills were also built on the rapids, as well as a small hydroelectric power plant in 1917. The current power plant has been in operation since the early 1960s. Siikakoski was taken over by KSS Energia in 1976 when the power plant was connected to the energy company’s network. The watercourses where the power plants are located were dammed between the 1920s and the 1950s. The current machinery was built between the 1950s and the 1990s.
Wood processing was carried out in the beautiful cultural landscape of Verla from 1872 to 1964. Electric light arrived in Verla in 1889 powered by a small generator. The first power plant was built in the area in 1923 and the next one, which is still in operation, was completed in 1954. The plant was transferred to KSS Energia in 1989. In order to better exploit the flowrate in the Verlankoski rapids, KSS Energia built a new, parallel power plant unit, Verla 2, on the northern shore of the rapids in 1994.
Today the Verla hydro power plants produce about 16,000 megawatt-hours of electricity each year. This amount of electricity is sufficient for the needs of some 3,000 average households.
The Kannuskoski power plant was also built for generating power to the groundwood mill. After the groundwood mill operations ended, it took about twenty years before a new hydropower plant was built in the rapids in 1958. The plant was transferred to KSS Energia in 1995.